January 17, 2012

What do your cravings look like?

Reading through "Made To Crave" again is proving to be exactly what I needed to keep me focused and refocus  my cravings.  Cravings are funny little things...they can start as an itch and slowly or not so slowly creep up and take over your thoughts.  MTC talks about the ad campaign WW had a few years ago with the little red monster.  Remember him?  
One of the questions for discussion today was what do your cravings look like.  Mine are much different than this scary (okay really cute) monster.  Mine look more like an old friend.

Someone who when they come around, you want to sit and catch up.  You don't want to be rude and ignore them because you don't see them everyday.  And before you know it you have spent all afternoon with them, or in my case, the whole bag of chips.  When I get a craving for food, the devil makes me feel that it's okay because I haven't indulged in such a long time.  That's almost always never true because I certainly do not deprive myself, but the devil is sly and knows how often I can be fooled by that lie.

Did you know that cravings aren't bad?  In fact, God made us to crave?  "How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord Almighty!  My soul LONGS (craves), even faints for you. My heart and flesh cry out for You." Psalm 84:1-2.  It's all about taking those cravings whatever they may be for-food, shopping, relationships, money, etc. and searching for what you are really craving.  When I stop myself and ask what I am really craving, it's almost never food.  In those moments, I am learning to pray and ask God to fill me with what I need at that moment.  It's not easy, but life is a journey and I refuse to be controlled any longer by food!

No comments:

Post a Comment