January 26, 2012

Cleaner Eating

Lately I have been trying to eat "cleaner."  I was invited to a Wild Tree party where the sales lady talked about all of the junk in our food.  I have been hearing more and more about it and it is really getting my attention now.  I mean we all know that we don't eat the best food, but the problem is that we don't even know what we are putting into our bodies some of the time.  The list of ingredients is scary!  One thing the lady said that really stuck with me is the "anti-caking" agent that is put into a lot of powders and baking mixes.  It's the same chemical that is in the silica packets in new shoes that say toxic, do not ingest.   Now, I know it has to be a safe level according to the fda, but how safe is even a little?

So anyway, I've been trying to make more things from scratch.  Simple things like taco seasoning, pancake and waffle mixes, and snacks.  There is something really special about your kids eating something that you took time to make and know exactly what you put into them.  Now, I'm not perfect on this yet, I still do buy some snacks but every little bit helps.  I would really like to learn how to make graham crackers...those seem to be a staple here. But we did make brownies from scratch today, and they are amazing!  I am trying very hard to control myself around them, since they are 5 pts. a piece!
Here's one of my favorite cookbooks when it comes to making snacks for the kids.

And one of our new favorite recipes is the Chocolate Chip Cookies with chickpeas.  Yes you read right, chickpeas!  Here's how they look...

And here's Aaron enjoying them!  Even Brian liked them!  

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool Tiffany! We love that cookbook too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I love to bake when I can. It just tastes so much better:-)

    ReplyDelete