January 12, 2011

Lullabies

Do you sing them to your babies?  As I was rocking Aaron to sleep tonight contemplating how long I should rock him, I started singing one of my favorite lullabies to him.  Joey heard what I was doing and sat right next to me and so I sang to both boys.  I could tell he was a little jealous because I sang a song that I have been singing to Joey since he was born.  But I made it fun by inserting both of their names in the song and looking at both while singing.  I could see though how it affected Joey.  Most nights I sing to him in his bed, in the dark, with my eyes closed.  Tonight I could see his whole mood change in front of me as he watched me sing and then wanted to rock along with Aaron and me.  What precious times!  We, as moms and dads, have such amazing opportunities to love on our children!  Even if you don't have a great singing voice, that special time before bed can be so important.  When all is quiet after a crazy day, some of the best bonding occurs.  It did make me think though that I may need to get a few more songs in my "playlist," some special ones that I only sing to Aaron so that Joey can have his special ones too.  Here's my list of a few that I sing...feel free to add more.
Beautiful Boy by John Lennon-My brother TJ sent this song on a cd along with the next one when Joey was born.  Love it!
Godspeed by the Dixie Chicks-This one sums up being a mom to boys in every way!


Masterpiece by Sandi Patti-I can remember growing up, hearing this song every time a baby was baptized in our church.  That is one tradition that I really miss!  This song is so amazing!
Feel free to add your suggestions!  Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Tiffany... I love Godspeed but haven't heard it in a long time. I haven't really considered what I'll sing to my baby boy-- but I think this would be a good addition. (He started kicking during the song, so maybe that's a good sign!) Thank you for sharing this experience, it touched my heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, that is so awesome! Never underestimate the understanding of your baby, even in your womb! I had a similar experience the first time I ever felt Joey move in my belly...I think I may post about it later. Can't wait to meet baby Zimmerooney!

    ReplyDelete