January 22, 2012

The living word

While reading devotions with Brian tonight, we came across this quote, "Nobody ever outgrows Scripture; the book widens and deepens with our years." ~ CH Spurgeon.
What a great quote!  It made us think about how every single time we read a portion of the Bible, something new jumps out.  It's just amazing to me.  Never have I read another book that does that. The Bible is truly alive. It is beautiful and so full, I get excited just thinking about it.  One example for me of a Scripture having new life is from Psalm 46:10.  Most are familiar with the first part of the verse, "Be still and know that I am God."  I even have this on a plaque over our entry door.  I love this Scripture, and for a long time I used it to remind me to take time and be still with God.  That is part of the verse but did you know there's more to the verse?  So often we only learn pieces of Scripture, and in turn miss out on even more.  The second part of the verse says, "I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."  So God is not just telling us to be still and spend time with Him, but He is saying in this time of uncertainty, that He is in control.  It's a lot easier to be still and know he is God when we know that in the end He will be exalted in the earth.

So my point of this post is~ next time you read or hear a familiar verse, dig deeper into it.  Look at the text around it and find out the content.  You may discover something new!  
Just had another quick thought connected to this...have you heard  Mandisa's song  "God Speaking"?  I love this song and it talks about the beautiful ways that God uses to talk to us.  Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment